Friday, May 18, 2012

When I Don't Want To Write

I've been feeling pretty lazy lately.. haven't even opened my Fallout portfolio in a few days.  Maybe the call from Trafford scared me, maybe this is just how I am in the summer (unmotivated), or maybe I'm just lazy and don't feel like putting in the effort.  Either way, these are all excuses, and I know if I want to be a great writer then I need to quit being so damn lazy and just do it.

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm hungry all the time, and I snack ALL the time, and mostly while I'm working on something, homework or the book or whatever.  And I read something by Kristine Kathryn Rusch the other day and it really inspired me.  She didn't want to be writing what she was writing and went through every excuse in the book as to why she shouldn't be writing (getting hungry being one of them), and she came up with ways to get around these excuses.

The hunger one really helped me because it's so true.  She says that if you're working on something and you get hungry, ask yourself, "Do I like what I'm working on?" Don't ask yourself if you're really hungry because your body truly thinks that it is, and it may be.  But if you hate what you're working on, then you're probably not really hungry and you're just trying to get out of working.  But if you do enjoy what you're doing, then you should probably take a short break and get something to eat.  This is helped me work better and more efficiently, plus I don't eat as much.

Another tip was that if you want to be doing something else, like reading in my case, then I can't allow myself to start reading a book until I'm done working on whatever I need to work on.  Because I know if I start reading, I could be sitting there for hours and get nothing done, but finish a great book.  I've learned that if I get the work done, I can read.  It's motivated me so much because I want to read that badly.  Granted, not everyone is as great a book nerd as I am... So pick something else, something that you enjoy a lot more than working, and learn how to control that.

And now I have wasted a good half hour writing about the reasons I do not want to be writing--perfect.  As soon as I'm finished with my chores for the day--yes, I have chores--I will try to focus and get some work done.  Keep reading!

Hannah (:

No comments:

Post a Comment