So today is Father's Day, and it really makes me think about the father figures in my life and how important they truly are. I've had many father figures in my life, from step-dad's to teachers or coaches, and I've loved all of them, but none compare to my dad. Even though we live far away and don't see each other nearly as often as we would like, he's still my dad, and I love him to death.
I know a lot of people, mostly kids in my generation, who have taken their dad for granted. Sure, they love their dad, but they know their dad is always going to be there so they don't cherish every moment together like they should. Having my dad live so far away has given me this perspective. I would have given anything to see my dad every day growing up like most kids do. But I adapted, and learned to live in the moment and treasure every time that I do get to see him. I wish people would all treat their fathers like this.
And for the new dads (my two older brothers David and Dustin) I wish them an especially happy father's day. Growing up with my brothers was interesting to say the least. I loved them, but let's be honest, I could never picture the way they would act around their babies. I always knew them as the rough brothers I grew up with. Whether we were wrestling or playing backyard football or being choke-slammed by Dustin, it certainly was an adventure. But seeing them lovingly hold their babies and nurture and care for them... it's something else entirely. The first time I saw Dustin with little Tatum, he was laying down with him and cooing and making baby noises at Tatum. It was the strangest thing to witness, but I'm so proud of my brothers and everything that their doing. Happy Father's Day guys. I love you.
I considered writing a poem for this.. and maybe I will later, but honestly my hands are hurting so bad that it's killing me to write this. Being a writer and having a bone/joint disorder is probably the worst thing ever.
Thanks for reading! and Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there
Hannah(:
No comments:
Post a Comment